Spring Ave Elementary opened in the fall of 1952 with 12 classrooms, a Kindergarten, art room and gymnasium. Originally the District Administration offices were located at this site.
An additional school location was needed in the district because by 1950, the school population of District 105 had increased significantly, due to a boom in local industry. Existing facilities at Ideal, Hodgkins and Seventh Ave schools had become crowded. It was evident, that the entire community was also experiencing a period of dynamic residential development.
A noted University of Chicago consultant, Dr. William Reavis, was hired to survey the area and make recommendations. After this survey and other detailed reports, additional property was acquired and construction started on a new school at Spring Ave and 52nd Street in La Grange.
Spring Ave is currently rated as an Exemplary School on the Illinois Report Card and has an enrollment of approximately 315 students.