ACCESS AssessmentThe new English language proficiency test
What is ACCESS for ELLs?
Why administer ACCESS?
- ACCESS stands for: Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State for English Language Learners.
- ACCESS for ELLs™ is a standards-based English language proficiency test.
- It assesses social and instructional English as well as the language associated with language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies within the school context across the four language domains (speaking, listening, reading and writing).
- The Screener will be used for initial identification of new students; the full ACCESS will help us identify a student’s language growth in all of the language domains and content areas.
- It is required by the State of Illinois for accountability purposes.
- It will help us understand our students better. We will be able to see their areas of language strengths as well as language needs in all of the content areas.
Where can I find information about ACCESS?